More about this recipe:
A healthy three bean salad made with green beans, sugar beans and garbanzo beans. It usually contains vinegar but this recipe uses lemon juice instead. It also generally contains cane sugar but this one uses fructose instead. You can also use Xylitol or honey instead of fructose. As for the onions…you can either toss them in raw (as the recipe suggests) or you can fry them a little beforehand and then add them. If you don’t like the very strong sting the raw onions sometimes leave I would suggest you fry them a little beforehand.
Tips for this recipe:
If you would like to save some time you can cook your garbanzo beans in a Wonderbag the previous night (I’ve mentioned this in the recipe‘s notes as well). It will really save you an hour or more and you will have delicious soft garbanzo beans in the end. If you are wondering how to cook your garbanzo beans by using a Wonderbag, here’s how:
- Place your garbanzo beans in a pot.
- Cover them with boiling kettle water.
- Add a little salt.
- Once they start to boil (this should not take more than 10 minutes) remove the pot from the stove and place it in the Wonderbag.
- Close the Wonderbag and leave your garbanzos overnight. The garbanzos will continue to cook overnight in the Wonderbag.
- The next morning your garbanzos will be ready and soft.
- Tip: Place a round wooden cutting board (or anything similar) at the bottom of the Wonderbag to prevent the pot from burning the material.
I use to love the way my mom made this recipe. She makes this recipe the traditional way with vinegar, sugar and sunflower oil. She also uses white kidney beans instead of sugar beans. So I decided to try and adapt her traditionally recipe into a healthy three bean salad recipe. My adapted version still doesn’t taste as good as hers, unfortunately, but it’s definitely healthier. We also use sugar beans instead of white beans because they are cheaper. Well, that’s really all there is to say about this recipe. Adapt and enjoy!