The eczema problem:
I struggled with eczema for a long time. People use to tell me that I should just eliminate sugar from my diet, which I tried from time to time. But eliminating sugar from my porridge and from my hot beverages was seemingly not enough…I was still scratching away. So I thought the sugar was not affecting me. However, I didn’t realize that I should also avoid the sugar in products that I used every day. I was truly surprised to learn how many food products actually contained sugar. In the end I had to learn to make many products (like chutney and tomato sauce) myself in order to eliminate sugar from my life.
Tips to say goodbye to sugar:
Here are some tips to become aware of that hidden danger:
- When buying food items, be sure to read the labels. In the beginning it will be hard and time consuming but after a while you will know which products you can buy and which you should avoid.
- You can use honey, fructose or xylitol instead of sugar.
- Labels that say the product contains fructose should be fine to use. We’ve been using fructose (in small amounts) for a while now and my eczema is still under control. Not only did eliminating sugar help me to overcome my eczema but it also helped me overcome hay fever.
- Be aware of products such as cereals, tin foods, sauces, spreads and fruit juices. These are items I usually forget to check the labels for but they actually contain a lot of sugar.
- Note that sugar alternatives are usually more expensive…unfortunately.
- Check out my website from time to time because I will be adding recipes that uses sugar alternatives and recipes that contains no sugar at all, not even sugar alternatives.